- October 9, 2020
- Posted by: Jay Scherr
- Category: Business tools
You’ve probably heard hundreds of times about the importance of having goals, right? Of course you have. Thomas Carlyle said, “A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder.”
The question is, are you intentional about setting them and committed to achieving them?
Here are six strategies to set you up for success:
1. Define your ultimate goal and write it down. Be hyper-specific and write down why you want to achieve the goal – why is it important?
2. Assign a timeline. Be specific and write down when the goal will be achieved.
3. Start with the end in mind. Work backward and break the goal down into the smallest actions possible.
4. Write down the impact on your life and business if the goal is not achieved. How will this make you feel?
5. What obstacles or roadblocks could get in the way of achieving the goal? List them and write down a workaround for each.
6. Measure and track progress to ensure you’re moving in the right direction. Adjust where appropriate. Stay focused on the end game, remove distractions, and eliminate excuses.
Now, take action and do the work!
As a side note, having an accountability partner can significantly improve your chances of crushing your goals. Choose someone who aligns with your core values, is trustworthy and has your best interest in mind. Someone who understands your objectives and will gently push you and cheer you on.